Saturday, April 3, 2010

Digiteen Project Based Learning

I think this is a wonderful project. Students are able to select a topic, research the topic, and then share their findings with other classmates. I love the idea of students teaching each other oppose to the traditional lecture. One of the groups researched driving under the influence verses driving while texting. I really like that they are discussing this more and more these days. I know that when I was younger I would text while I drove, I felt that because I could keep my eyes on the road while I was sending a message that I was still being safe. But the problem is that the distraction is still there. Just because your eyes are on the road doesn't mean you are focused on the road. The students reported that your reaction time is the same when you are texting as when you are under an influence! WOW! They also reported that 14% of all car wrecks are due to DUI and 37% of all car wrecks are due to DWT! Another group of students researched Digital literacy and that it is important for students to be able to tell the difference between a real website and a fake one. Online safety was another topic that students selected as a risky digital behavior. They talked about how easy it is for your pictures and identity to be stolen when you post inappropriate information on the Internet. Digiteens: Digital Citizenship by Digital Teenagers is a wonderful resource to share with all people to educate them on these risky behaviors that our students and children are participating in.




I believe that it is important for both the teachers and parents to work together to make sure that our children are being safe on the Internet. We need to teach them appropriate ways to use the Internet and social networks as well as show them the dangers of using these in a inappropriate manner. This should be Incorporated in our curriculum as well as something that parent talk to their children about. The Internet and social networks can be a great tool in the classroom however they can be easily abused that is why I will make sure when I am a teacher that we discuss the dangers and how to avoid them. This project is wonderful it allows students to research and teach themselves about a topic or concept and share it with their peers. Project based learning can be so successful and motivating.

No comments:

Post a Comment